What Can Liposuction Do for You?
Liposuction surgery is used to remove fat, improve your body shape, and contour. The thighs, abdomen, and gluteal regions are most commonly treated in women, while men are more likely to seek treatment for the waist and breast areas.
Contact our team for a consultation with Dr. Chandran Arianayagam to discuss detailed specifics for your situation, the liposuction surgery cost and more.
Benefits of Liposuction
- A reduction in your weight (however, not a method for losing weight)
- A suitable treatment for those who struggle to target specific areas and weight goals via diet and exercise
- Suitable for those who have recently undergone massive weight loss
- Able to target specific areas of the body with stubborn fat
- Creates a more proportional body shape with a contour that will blend with your natural form
- Results are easy to maintain if you ensure your diet and exercise routine is upheld
- Emotional benefits of aligning your body image to how you feel, increasing your confidence and self-appreciation
- Improvements in self-esteem that are felt every day - being comfortable with your body can be a priceless feeling
Depending on your own goals for your body and expected results, the benefits of liposuction can be life-changing in the most positive of ways.
Is Liposuction Surgery Right For Me?
Liposuction is primarily used for body sculpting rather than weight loss. The procedure is ideal for removing localised areas of fat that are not responsive to diet and exercise. Liposuction may be right for you taking into account the following points:
- Younger patients with good skin tone achieve the best results
- Newer techniques have allowed us to achieve good results with average and less than average skin tone
- Arianayagam can inform you as to what level of results you should expect
- High volume liposuction can be used for patients who have experienced massive weight gain
Liposuction is not usually adequate as a stand-alone weight loss tool, but it can be useful as part of a broader weight loss therapy program.
Why Choose Tumescent Liposuction
Dr. Arianayagam uses the tumescent liposuction technique and here is why:
- The process uses a specially prepared fluid that is injected into the tissues. The solution contains adrenaline, which limits blood loss and anaesthesia, which numbs the tissue to reduce post-operative pain
- The process only involves tiny stab-like incisions (usually less than 3mm) through which the fluid is injected
- A high-pressure suction machine then removes the fat, or for smaller areas, a hand-held syringe may be used for suction.
- The procedure is slow and repetitive, almost like vacuuming your house. Depending on the size and number of areas being treated, it can take from 1-3 hours
Many liposuction procedures are performed as day surgery. However, if the treatment is combined with another surgical procedure, such as a tummy tuck or breast reduction, or the volume of fat to be removed is high, then it will be performed as an inpatient under general anaesthesia.
How It Works
Target the stubborn fat that is often unaffected by exercise and diet with liposuction from PCLS Coffs Harbour.
Dr. Arianayagam will ask you a variety of questions about your current health situation, medications, allergies, past medical treatments.
The doctor will carefully examine your body and skin and may take measurements. He will then discuss the options available and his recommendations. Ideally, a second consultation is had a week or two later to give you the opportunity to come back with more questions and to confirm your decision.
Depending on the size and number of areas, the surgery can take 1 - 3 hours.
You will avoid strenuous activities for at least three weeks after surgery and expect to be able to return to normal activities in three months.
Why Choose Us?
As an internationally trained Specialist Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Chandran Arianayagam has been performing liposuction procedures in Coffs Harbour since January 1995. He also has experience operating and observing all over the world, including India, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
His qualifications include a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery; he is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, has been granted Specialist status in Plastic Surgery by Minister for Health of the Commonwealth Government of Australia and is a corresponding member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
As an expert in many Plastic Surgery techniques, including cosmetic and reconstructive surgery and laser and injection treatments, Dr. Arianayagam believes a detailed approach is best for the comfort of all patients. He allows for plenty of discussions, time, and space to make decisions with at least two consultations prior to treatment.
The doctor is also well-known for his outstanding levels of in-patient and post-operative care, which make every procedure less daunting, from the initial steps through to a full recovery. Dr. Arianayagam is personally accessible, making sure that a patient never feels alone.
Once you have made the decision to go ahead with the surgery and have chosen Dr. Arianayagam as your surgeon, you will also be offered the opportunity to speak to one of our patients who has the same procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once the local anaesthesia wears off, you may have some pain, which should be manageable with pain medication. You will also have some swelling, which should resolve over six weeks.
You can begin walking on the day of surgery, but you will be tired.
You should limit your movements around the house, and take time off work for 2-3 days. Avoid strenuous activities for at least three weeks after surgery and expect to be able to return to full normal activities in three months.
A post-operative compression garment must be worn for three months. This helps to define and maintain your new body contour.
Liposuction permanently removes fat cells in the area being treated, so the fat storage capacity in the liposuctioned zones is significantly reduced. In the event of weight gain, the fat will not be distributed to the liposuctioned zones in the same way it did before.
Having said that, if you do gain weight after liposuction, those fat cells remaining may expand, giving an unwanted effect. So it is best to avoid weight gain following the procedure.
Most surgery will leave scars, but the incisions made during liposuction are very small and are made as inconspicuous as possible. With careful management, the scars should be difficult to see once they fade.
As with all surgical procedures, there will always be risks such as post-operative bleeding, allergic reactions, infection, deep vein thrombosis, and haematoma.
The results of liposuction are always considered to be semi-permanent. You can still gain weight after liposuction, but this will create a larger version of your new body shape. You will look slimmer and more contoured, and the cells removed by the liposuction procedure will not grow back.
The most common areas for liposuction are the abdomen, breasts, hips, thighs, knees, arms, buttocks, cheeks, and neck.
It is crucial that your liposuction decision is not made based on cost. The cheapest procedure can put you at significant risk if shortcuts are taken. It is important that your surgeon has specialised training in liposuction techniques and preferably a large amount of experience with a high success rate.
I experience excessive sweating, can liposuction help?
It can. Liposuction is often used as a long-lasting method to reduce sweating under the arms.
While there is no specific age requirement, patients will be assessed to ensure their health status is suitable for the procedure. It is best for patients to sit in the normal to slightly overweight BMI range as this is not a solution for losing excessive amounts of weight.
The liposuction procedure should only be used as a way to contour the body, targeting stubborn areas of fat.
- Rockvale Cardiac Centre, 18 Rockvale Road, Armidale, NSW
- Duke Street Medical Centre, 9 Duke Street, Grafton, NSW
- Barton Lane Medical Practice, 121 Johnson Street, Tamworth, NSW
- 3 Highfields Circuit, Port Macquarie, NSW 2444
Dr. Arianayagam offers a range of locations for the liposuction procedure, all of which feature a patient care team that is second-to-none. His hand-picked staff will make sure you are looked after from the minute you walk through the doors to when you leave.
As your first point of contact, the PCLS team will help you to book a consultation, coordinate your care, and ensure you are thoroughly informed and prepared before your procedure.
As an extra level of care, they will stay in touch with you throughout your recovery process, so you will have peace of mind in knowing you have the follow-up care you need. The locations serviced by PCLS include: